- Salary flat rate: $109,553 – $121,901 per year (level 8) or pro-rated for part-time employees, plus 17% employer pension contribution and annual leave
- Type of appointment: 2 years, full-time or part-time (job sharing)
- Location of North Ryde
The Faculty of Science and Engineering is looking for a motivated and proactive Business Manager to join our new teamAustralian Genome Foundry. In this newly created role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to manage and deliver operational plans, provide strategic advice, contribute to business development and provide administrative support to biosmelter operations. Initially, the role will be a stand-alone operational support position with an allocated budget for team resources as the biofoundry grows.
Reporting to the Biofoundry Director, the successful candidate will:
- Provide strategic advice, support and recommendations to the director and key stakeholders and play a lead role in the development and implementation of operational and resourcing plans
- Manage and provide operational and administrative support in all business operations, including from business and contract management to purchasing, reporting, finance and budgets, outreach, social media, communications and marketing
- In consultation with the Director and Scientific Director, define service delivery modes aligned with strategy, develop sustainable financial models and implement service level agreements for access to foundry capacity and service
- Lead the development of the annual budget and oversee regular monitoring, review and reporting.
- Develop and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders across university functions and departments, partners, customers, industry, funding, and government agencies
This role would suit an experienced manager or would be a great opportunity for someone with experience in general management, operations, finance and/or communications and marketing to expand their skill base. Initially, you will be comfortable in a self-directed role providing all levels of operational and administrative support across all business activities. More broadly, you will be a strategic thinker and relationship facilitator who is confident in operational management and has the demonstrated ability to translate strategy into operational plans and guide others in implementing these.
You will possess strong conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills and be recognized for your good judgment and decision-making. You will be adept at negotiating and managing physical and financial resources to achieve organizational goals. You will have developed strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and be comfortable maintaining a collaborative and cooperative working environment among a variety of stakeholders in a service-oriented environment.
Who we are
Located at Macquarie Universityand within the Faculty of Science and Engineeringthe Australian Genome Foundry is a high throughput strain engineering facility with a highly automated workflow. This means that instead of requiring a researcher to manually create one strain at a time, the same researcher could create hundreds or thousands of strains in parallel using robotic platforms. The Australian Genome Foundry is capable of synthesizing complete eukaryotic chromosomes and consists of modular robotic platforms capable of automated construction and analysis of synthetic microbial strains.
What we do
We seek to increase the automation and throughput of the Biofoundry, moving it from a bespoke academic facility to a world-class genome foundry that would act as a magnet to attract and grow biotech start-ups in Nova Scotia. South Wales.
In addition to working with a support team and industry leaders, you’ll have access to:
To learn more, visit our Benefits page.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your resume and a separate cover letter that outlines how you meet the following selection criteria:
Essential selection criteria
- Relevant higher degree(s) and/or equivalent experience as well as demonstrated ability to plan at strategic and operational levels with organizational skills to ensure delivery and implementation of operations and services
- Operate as a value-added business partner with financial savvy and experience building, developing and managing budgets
- Excellent relationship management skills with demonstrated ability to develop effective strategic and operational relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Strong customer service orientation and proven ability to develop an innovative, collaborative and supportive work environment for a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Highly developed conceptual, analytical, problem-solving and research skills, including the ability to develop innovative solutions
Desired selection criteria
- Working knowledge and understanding of the synthetic biology ecosystem, including biosmelter operating models and the ability to confidently engage with staff, customers and stakeholders in the development and delivery of services
- Experience in a tertiary research environment or research centre/institute, including knowledge of national competitive research programs and national/international funding bodies
The successful candidate will be required to submit to a criminal background check.
Inquiries about specific roles: Distinguished Professor Ian Paulsen, email [email protected]
General recruitment enquiries, including job description: Katherine Rodionoff, Human Resources Consultant by email [email protected]
If you are already part of the Macquarie group (MQ University, [email protected], MQ Health, MGSM), you will need to apply through your employee Workday account. To apply for this position: Sign in to Workday and navigate to the Careers app > Search Jobs.
Equity and Diversity Statement
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure that the culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability , their LGBTIQA+ identity, family and family responsibilities, age or religion. . We encourage anyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment and integrity to apply.
Learn more about our progress towards equity, diversity and inclusion.